Always dilute essential oils before using them on babies, and it's recommended to use 1/3 of the adult dosage.
WHICH OILS ARE SAFE?
There are a few essential oils that can be used on babies, but I will touch on my three favorites - The most gentle of essential oils that are safe to use on even infants from 1 month of age and up.
- Lavender - One of the most versatile of all the essential oils, and can be used "neat" (no dilution is necessary) to still be considered safe. (But, for babies, I still recommend light dilution.) It is soothing, calming, and aids in sleep.
- Roman Chamomile - Sweet, apple like aroma. Very Calming and used during times of irritability. Helps combat insomnia. Is anti-inflammatory: Eases arthritis, headaches, & muscle aches.
- German Chamomile - Sweet, straw-like aroma. Very soothing and calming.
- Do not place undiluted essential oil close to baby’s face.
- Make sure that the essential oils you choose are 100% therapeutic grade - and not essential oil perfumes or massage oils.
- Never used undiluted essential oil directly on baby’s skin (it can burn and/or cause irritation).
- Never use undiluted essential oil in a diffuser (the scent will be too strong for baby).
- Never allow a baby to ingest an essential oil.
Rub 1 to 2 drops Lavender Essential Oil on your shoulder (or to a cotton ball inside your shirt) when putting baby down for sleep. The calming properties of the oil will aide in relaxing your baby as they begin to associate the aroma with a peaceful drift to sleep.
Use 1 drop Lavender essential oil and one drop Roman Chamomile, dilute with carrier oil, and use as a relaxing massage oil for baby.
Bath Time for Baby:
Add two drops of lavender essential oil into baby's bath to relax them before bedtime.
Diaper Rash Baby Remedy:
Add one drop German Chamomile essential oil and one drop Lavender essential oil to a pint of warm water. Store in a clean jar. Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and use to wipe baby’s bottom.
Or, add 1-2 drops of lavender essential oil to your baby's diaper rash cream.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: None of the health topics presented on Fashion Scents Essential Jewelry have been evaluated or approved by the FDA. They should not replace personal judgment or medical treatment when indicated, nor are they intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Always talk to your physician about the use of these or any other complimentary modalities.