What you put ON their bodies - goes INTO their bodies.
And we found some shocking information -
The SPF (Sun Protection Factor) ONLY measures the sunscreen's ability to deflect skin burning UVB rays. It DOES NOT reflect the sunscreen's ability to filter out UVA rays that cause skin damage, immune suppression - and possibly melanoma.
The EWG also warns to STAY AWAY from the potentially toxic ingredient -
What? It's a vitamin, how could this be bad?! They report that Vitamin A (aka retinyl palmitate & retinol) hastens the development of skin tumors and lesions on sun-exposed skin and shows in up in approximately 20% of beach and sport sunscreens & 12% of SPF moisturizers.
So, how do we fix this problem? How can we be sure that what we are putting on our little one's skin to protect them, isn't actually HARMING them? For THOUSANDS of years- people have been using NATURAL ingredients to protect their skin from the sun - how do you think they did it BEFORE all of these crazy scientific experiments in a bottle started showing up on shelves? Well, we have two solutions for you: We've provided you with a DIY at-home sunscreen and a guide to buying the best sunscreens on the market!
1. DIY ESSENTIAL OIL ALL-NATURAL SUNBLOCK
- 1/4 cup carrier oil - (choose a natural oil such as jojoba oil, coconut oil, or olive oil)
- 5 tsp Zinc Oxide - (make sure this is pure - this is your 'sunscreen' ingredient)
- 1 tbsp Beeswax
- 3 tbsp Natural Aloe Vera
- 1/2 cup Distilled Water
- 2-3 capsules of Vitamin E
- 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 drops Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- 10 drops Helichrysum Essential Oil
- 10 drops Myrrh Essential Oil
- Heat your carrier oil and beeswax on a double boiler until just melted
- Remove from heat
- Add vitamin E and essential oils
- Put into bowl
- Add zinc oxide and set aside
- In a small pan - heat water and aloe vera until just warm
- Add water and aloe vera mixture to your first mixture - slowly and whisking vigorously
REMEMBER: avoid using essential oils with citrus in the sun!
If making your own sunscreen isn't your cup of tea - do not worry. There are safe and effective sunscreens available for purchase. We researched hundreds of sunscreens and found our four favorites.
We've listed their ingredients, price, and where to buy.
OUR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ALL-NATURAL SUNSCREENS:
Now that you have solutions to your sunscreen paranoia you'll have one less thing to stress about with your days in the sun with your children.
Knowledge is power, and together we can provide our children a safe way to enjoy their childhood.
READ MORE ABOUT THE SAFETY OF SUNSCREENS AT - WWW.EWG.ORG/2014SUNSCREEN